The Science of Male Sexual Arousal
I was recently invited to speak on a podcast, Sexology with Dr. Moali, to discuss male sexual dysfunction and some of the problems with using PDE-5 inhibitors (aka: Viagra, Cialis, Levitra). If you want to listen to me say "erection" as many times as I can in 35 minutes, have a listen here: Sexology Podcast
If you simply want the highlights, here are a few:
- PDE-5 inhibitors can be "lifesaver" for men with medical issues that impact their sexual functioning. For all other men, they are simply a quick-fix that don't address the underlying cause of their erectile dysfunction.
- PDE-5 inhibitors can negative impact romantic relationships in a number of ways, including:
- Mismatch In Arousal: This can be particularly problematic for postmenopausal women who can physically be injured by her partner's newfound sexual prowess.
- Mistrust: Fear of infidelity or concern re: dissatisfaction can occur particularly if you don't tell your partner that you are taking them, which many of you don't.
- Anxiety: Some men come to rely on these drugs to help them perform sexually. They can experience performance anxiety without them.
If you (or a partner) are experiencing sexual dysfunction, there are many effective treatments. To learn more about participating in sex therapy in Silicon Valley, visit my website: https://www.drpomeranz.com